Monday, September 7, 2009

First long-distance voyage

Mt Albert – Papatoetoe, for an end of football season barbecue. Since my friends live right by P/toe train station, I could have done things the simple way (Mt Albert - Newmarket by train, Newmarket - P/toe by train). But I wanted to show off the Silver Machine! So – bike to Newmarket (7.2 k = about 20 minutes with electrics) and take the bike on the train. What could be simpler than that?

Let me see. What if you get totally lost in Newmarket's one-way system and rail-related construction zone, and miss the train? And there ain't another one for an hour, thank you very much underfunding of Auckland rail?

Simple, if you're a crazed masochist like me. Bike to Orakei to get the Eastern Line train. Which I did, and that's another 5 ks to my journey. Oh, and now that I check Google maps, there was a much quicker way I could have gone, down Middleton and Basset and Shore roads. But I had no map so I just went to the Remmers shops and down Victoria Ave anyway. Still, I got there in time; and the extra exercise means I could eat another sausage or two without guilt.

So - no real problems getting the bike up New North Road in one direction, or up Khyber Pass Road (at night) in the other direction. Yes, I at least caught the right train on my way home. And for those interested - the clippie on the train treated the Silver Machine no different to any manual bike, just as I expected. So this is feasible. The only real problem is that I may have come dangerously close to running down the battery altogether with my unscheduled detour. Well, I'll know better next time. At this stage, all mistakes are learning opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment