Friday, October 16, 2009

If all else fails, repent sins

Tip for all bike riders in Auckland: before going on any journey which involves significant slopes, test your brakes properly first. Especially in wet weather.

Last night I had the most hair-raising journey down Onehunga mall imaginable. I was lucky not to be caused a serious injury when the road finally came up to greet me.

I'm quite perturbed that the brakes on the Silver Machine have slipped so badly in just two months. But then I go down some steep hills, on which I need to have the brakes on all the time, so maybe it's just my bad riding habits.

Also of note: yesterday was so wet that it took me until midday to dry out.

3 comments:

  1. Yes that's scary - I've had my brakes fail on me once as a kid. The face-plant into the hatchback I hit must've looked so funny - the classic cartoon splat, pause, slide down.

    How'd you handle all those roundabouts, and what brought you to a stop in the end?

    Andrew (same as at the CBT forum)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Er, the ground, after I went through the last roundabout narrowly missing a car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there

    We're writing about electric cycles in the next issue of Good magazine. I want to mention your blog, but it would be great to use your real name if poss. Could you let me know at annabel at good dot net dot nz?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete